Replacing your home’s windows can be a significant investment, but it’s often a necessary one. Over time, windows can become damaged, drafty, or simply outdated, affecting the overall appearance and energy efficiency of your home. The cost of window replacement can vary widely depending on the type, size, material, and installation complexities. Below is an overview of the average prices for different window types and sizes.
1. Double-Hung Windows
These are some of the most common types of windows in homes. They have two sashes that move up and down, allowing for easy ventilation.
- Average cost: $300 to $800 per window.
- Factors influencing cost: Material (vinyl, wood, fiberglass), energy-efficient features, and brand.
2. Casement Windows
Casement windows swing outwards using a crank, providing good ventilation and a clear view.
- Average cost: $400 to $1,000 per window.
- Influencing factors: Material, size, hardware quality, and additional features like multi-point locking systems.
3. Bay and Bow Windows
These are large, protruding windows that can change the architectural appearance of your home. They often consist of a combination of fixed and operational windows.
- Average cost: $2,000 to $4,500 for the entire setup.
- Influencing factors: Size, type of windows included in the setup, material, and installation complexity.
4. Sliding Windows
Sliding windows move horizontally on tracks. They’re often used in modern homes and in places with limited exterior space.
- Average cost: $400 to $1,200 per window.
- Influencing factors: Size, material, and additional features like double or triple glazing.
5. Picture Windows
These are fixed windows designed to provide an unobstructed view. They don’t open, so they’re often combined with operational windows for ventilation.
- Average cost: $350 to $800 for standard sizes.
- Influencing factors: Size, framing material, and glazing options.
6. Awning Windows
Awning windows are hinged at the top and open outward, providing protection from rain even when open.
- Average cost: $400 to $900 per window.
- Influencing factors: Material, size, and hardware.
These are windows installed on the roof, allowing natural light to pour into rooms.
- Average cost: $900 to $2,100.
- Influencing factors: Size, material, additional features like UV protection, and installation complexity.
8. Custom or Specialty Windows
Unique shapes, oversized windows, or those with intricate designs fall under this category.
- Average cost: Costs can vary widely, from $1,000 to over $5,000.
- Influencing factors: Design complexity, size, material, and installation requirements.
Additional Costs to Consider:
- Installation: Depending on the complexity, expect to pay between $100 to $250 per window for professional installation.
- Additional features: Upgrades like energy-efficient coatings, argon gas fills, or specialized hardware can add to the overall cost.
- Old window removal: Some companies charge for the removal and disposal of old windows. This can range from $50 to $150 per window.
- Finishing touches: Exterior trim, interior moldings, and any required paint touch-ups will add to the overall expense.
When considering window replacement, it’s essential to get multiple quotes and understand the warranty and service terms offered by different companies. Additionally, while the initial cost might be higher for energy-efficient windows, they can result in substantial savings on utility bills in the long run. Always consider the long-term value and benefits when making your decision.